vRanger 7.2 was released back in June. A couple weeks ago I decided to perform the upgrade in our production environment. I was upgrading from vRanger 7.1 to 7.2. I started the installer and this is the error I received.
It appeared as if the installer did not see there was an older version already installed. I did a little research on Google and did not find anything related, so I opened a ticket with tech support. Immediately the technician new what the issue was. He had me continue and finish the install. After the install finished and the services started I opened vRanger and nothing was in there. The tech had me open the SQL server vRanger was connect to and confirmed that the install had created a new database.
This was a known bug, but the kb for the fix was internal to Dell only.
The tech left the window open when fixing the issue, so I took a screen capture of what he did to fix this issue.
After running the commands above and restarting the services, I opened vRanger and everything appeared.
I then went back into the SQL server and deleted the new database the installer had created.